Welcome to my blog. When I was first diagnosed with kidney failure and learned I could qualify for a kidney
and pancreas transplant, I scoured the internet for information and didn't come up with much. This is a big step
for me; I'm pretty reserved naturally and most people who know me are not aware of my medical conditions.
So, here's my experience…read, follow, comment, share…support me in turning over this new leaf.

(If this is your first visit and you'd like to read the events in order, click here to start at the beginning.)

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Boring Weekend - Oct 14. 2012


The doctors came to see me in the morning. Dr Wali said he was glad I was here as I appeared to be very dehydrated the night before, but my labs had improved since yesterday. Other news was good that my creatinine level was still dropping(translation: new kidney functioning better and better).

 
I'm still anemic and my iron level is low, but they give me an Epo shot as a booster. I'll probably continue to need these. Not a biggie at this point. Turns out the reason for my nausea (and subsequent dehydration) was that a doctor forgot to prescribe the anti-nausea medicine on my initial discharge. 

Because of the bleeding incision, they need to do an ultrasound. I've had these before and there was, of course, no pain. This time, though, every part of my abdomen is tender. "Wont that hurt?" I ask the doctor. "No," he soothes. "it's just an ultrasound." I am unconvinced.  

 
Transport comes and takes me to ultrasound. I ask the tech how she's going to do the ultrasound and not hurt me. God bless her for her honesty: "I don't think that's possible," she apologizes. So warm gel, ultrasound, ouch. She tries to be gentle. I am appreciative, but it definitely hurts.

When she's done, they review her pics and video, and my stomach starts to hurt even worse. I can feel the blood pumping through my midsection like a heartbeat. I have never actually had someone use my stomach as a punching bag, but THIS is what I imagine it feels like. I am curled up trying to convince myself it doesn't hurt that bad when the tech returns to tell me they need a few more angles. 

 
She brings a second tech to get the missing angles. Maybe it's in my head, but she is way less gentle and the five minutes it took felt like 20. They leave again to review and I am left crying in pain. Boldly, I decide to refuse if they want to do it again, but I miss the opportunity to put my foot down; they have what they need. Whew! 

 
In the morning, the doctor says the ultrasound was unremarkable. I try not to be offended. :) 
Since everything is ok here and I'm hydrated, I can go home. Yay! I get my new prescriptions and leave just as quickly as I'm allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment