Welcome to my blog. When I was first diagnosed with kidney failure and learned I could qualify for a kidney
and pancreas transplant, I scoured the internet for information and didn't come up with much. This is a big step
for me; I'm pretty reserved naturally and most people who know me are not aware of my medical conditions.
So, here's my experience…read, follow, comment, share…support me in turning over this new leaf.

(If this is your first visit and you'd like to read the events in order, click here to start at the beginning.)

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Home…briefly Oct 12, 2012


So, at home, sleeping(trying to sleep) in my bed is much better than the hospital. I can turn off ALL the lights and don't have to worry about a lab tech or friendly nurse or X-ray tech or inquisitive med student dropping by every couple of hours. I am also able to get up and walk without dragging the IV pole around. Ah, simple pleasures....
 

There's still plenty of pain. I take pain medication pretty religiously because my body lets me know if I missed it...I don't have to rely on a clock to know when it's been more than 4 hours. 

My incision starts bleeding, more than I would expect. It soaks through my shirt and pants. It doesn't hurt more, but it is alarming. With nurse's direction, I apply a dressing and realize I'm a lot more gentle than any of the techs, nurse, and especially doctors were. 

 
I do a lot of walking up and down the stairs. When I can't sleep, this gets me tired enough to fall asleep. I use a heating pad on my back which is especially helpful. I still can't really eat very much, and I am especially nauseated. In the first 2 days at home, in total I ate about 2 servings of soup and drank some water, all of it was forced. And I threw up most of it. By the second day, I couldn't hold down sips of water. I called the nurse. She told me I needed to return to the hospital; I was dehydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment