Welcome to my blog. When I was first diagnosed with kidney failure and learned I could qualify for a kidney
and pancreas transplant, I scoured the internet for information and didn't come up with much. This is a big step
for me; I'm pretty reserved naturally and most people who know me are not aware of my medical conditions.
So, here's my experience…read, follow, comment, share…support me in turning over this new leaf.

(If this is your first visit and you'd like to read the events in order, click here to start at the beginning.)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 1 Post-Op


The surgeon had told me the most important thing for recovery was to walk as soon as possible. So, last night, I stood up and walked 2 steps. OMG, that hurts. Getting back into bed hurt almost as much as getting up. After I'd done it, I couldn't decide whether it was a good idea or not. 
 

 Today is a blur, too. Mostly I felt nauseous and my stomach was lurching. I couldn't throw up, it was just repeated lurching. I am amazed at how much it hurts when involuntary muscles in my stomach contract. I can feel the fuzziness that the pain medication is causing but I'm not sure it's doing much for the pain. 

I'm up and walking three times today, but in between, all I do is sleep. 

 
I had a few visitors today, and I am sorry to all of you. One I didn't recognize and others I didn't even remember being there. I do remember late in the evening when the hard candy(and visitors) showed up because being able to suck on candy and chew gum(can't eat anything with ng tube in place) relieved some of the ever-present nausea. 


 
After about 4 candies, though, my diabetic taste buds can't handle the dense sugar in Jolly Ranchers…back to ice chips...

No comments:

Post a Comment