Welcome to my blog. When I was first diagnosed with kidney failure and learned I could qualify for a kidney
and pancreas transplant, I scoured the internet for information and didn't come up with much. This is a big step
for me; I'm pretty reserved naturally and most people who know me are not aware of my medical conditions.
So, here's my experience…read, follow, comment, share…support me in turning over this new leaf.

(If this is your first visit and you'd like to read the events in order, click here to start at the beginning.)

Monday, October 15, 2012

CA trip

In June, I got news that my step mom had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She quickly had a hysterectomy and lots of other stuff removed, but she was really struggling. My dad said it seemed like 2 steps back for each 1 step forward.

In August, he called to tell me the most disappointing news; she had decided to stop any life saving treatments. I couldn't handle this news; I was scared and sad and hurt and mad and disappointed and confused. I packed up the kids and we left for California to say goodbye.

Unfortunately, we didn't make it in time, and she passed away while we were in flight. This was a lot to take in, my daughter was shaken, and my son was oblivious. We spent 2 weeks with my dad, helping with arrangements, keeping him company, and generally keeping his house from being quiet.

My dad did such a great job, he handled everything so well.   Sometimes, I'd get concerned because he'd just blank out for a minute, but this was short-lived.  We saw lots of family and I was glad to be there, albeit under unfortunate circumstances. I spoke at the funeral and my daughter stepped up and spoke and the internment. I was very proud.

On the health note, I learned plenty about traveling with medical equipment and just how cumbersome that can be.  Call ahead, tell everyone who'll listen what you're doing, and show up extra, extra early to the airport. Do not take no for an answer ever.

Once in CA, I continued dialysis.  On the third night, while at dinner, I noticed my catheter was leaking and had a tear in it. Ugh! Trip to the emergency room, round of antibiotics, argue with the ER doctor who was sure I'd need catheter replacement surgery in the morning. I wasted way too much time fending off the doctor's hard line that my situation required emergency surgery in the morning.  He lectured me on the risks, medical, financial and personal, of leaving against medical advice. I hard-lined him right back.  I searched on my iPad and showed him there's a splicing kit and it could be repaired WITHOUT cutting me open. Five hours later, I was released and had the set spliced at a local dialysis center in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment